Controlled-Release Oxygen for Enhanced Aerobic Biodegradation
- Decreased time to site closure, degradation rates accelerated up to 100 times faster than natural degradation rates
- Longevity, a single ORC Advanced application can support aerobic biodegradation for up to 12 months
- Minimal site disturbance, no permanent or emplaced aboveground equipment, piping, tanks, power sources, etc.
- No operation and maintenance – lower costs and greater efficiency/reliability than engineered mechanical systems, oxygen emitters and bubblers
- Wide federal, state and local regulatory understanding and acceptance
- Well understood and easily monitored geochemistry and performance parameters
- Simple and easy application using a variety of available methods (direct push, fixed well or excavation)
How it Works
ORC Advanced® is an engineered, oxygen release compound designed specifically for enhanced, in situ aerobic bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater and saturated soils. Upon contact with groundwater, this calcium oxy-hydroxide based material becomes hydrated producing a controlled-release of molecular oxygen (17% by weight) for periods of up to 12 months on a single application. Oxygen is required by microorganisms to transform organic contaminants (such as petroleum hydrocarbons) into carbon dioxide, water and microbial cell mass. More importantly, the new and readily available oxygen produced by ORC Advanced accelerates aerobic biodegradation processes up to 100 times faster than natural degradation rates. ORC Advanced provides remediation practitioners with a significantly faster and highly effective means of treating petroleum contaminated sites.
Retail Petroleum and Gasoline Service Station Applications
Petroleum hydrocarbon contamination is often associated with retail petroleum service stations resulting from leaking underground storage tanks, piping and dispensers. As a result, ORC Advanced technology and applications have been tailored around the remediation needs of the retail petroleum industry and include: tank pit excavations, amending and mixing with backfill, direct-injection, bore-hole backfill, ORC Advanced Pellets for waterless and dustless application, combined ISCO and bioremediation applications, etc.
- Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene and Xylenes (BTEX)
- Gasoline Range Organics (GRO) (C6-C10-12)
- Diesel Range Organics (DRO) (C8-12-C24-26)
- Oil Range Organics (ORO) (C22-32)
- Creosote (coal tar)
- Methyl-Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE)
- Tert-Butyl Alcohol (TBA)
- cis-1,2 Dichloroethene (DCE)
- Vinyl chloride (VC)
For a complete listing of treatable contaminants please visit our Range of Treatable Contaminants Page.
Typical Soil and Groundwater Remediation Application Methods
- Slurry mixture direct-push injection through hollow rods (barriers and grids)
- Slurry mixture direct-placement into boreholes
- In Situ or ex situ slurry mixture into contaminated backfill or contaminated soils in general
- Dry application pelletized form placed directly into excavations and trenches
- Slurry mixture injections in conjunction with chemical oxidants like RegenOx or PersulfOx
- Filter sock applications in groundwater for highly localized treatment
- Ex situ biopiles
If you currently have a project and need a remediation solution now, visit our Request a Design page.
Have questions or want to explore some ideas? Contact Us to get in touch with a local representative.
FAQs about Oxygen Release Compound (ORC®)
Oxygen Release Compound is an engineered oxygen release compound designed specifically for enhanced, in situ aerobic bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater or saturated soils. The newly present oxygen allows the microorganisms to transform organic contaminants into carbon dioxide, water, and microbial cell mass.
Upon contact with groundwater, Oxygen Release Compound® (ORC) becomes hydrated producing a controlled-release of molecular oxygen (10% by weight) for periods of up to 12 months on a single application. The new and available oxygen produced by ORC accelerates aerobic biodegradation processes 10 to 100 times faster than their naturally occurring rates. ORC provides remediation practitioners with a significantly faster and more effective means of treating petroleum contaminated sites.
Oxygen Release Compound® (ORC) is right for your project if you are remediating petroleum hydrocarbons in soil or groundwater and your site goals require an approach that is quicker than natural attenuation.