What is Endrin?
Endrin is a white crystalline, odorless solid dissolved in a liquid carrier. It is water emulsifiable. It is toxic by inhalation, skin absorption, and/or ingestion. When heated or burned it may emit toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene.
Insecticide used to control the army cutworm, the pale western cutworm, pine vole, meadow voles, and grasshoppers, but only when federal regulations are strictly followed. Not registered for current use in the U.S., but approved pesticide uses may change periodically and so federal, state and local authorities must be consulted for currently approved uses.
Sources & Potential Exposure
Endrin has not been produced or sold for general use in the United States since 1986.This material is extremely toxic. It is rapidly absorbed through the skin. Symptoms appear between 20 minutes and 12 hours after exposure. There is evidence that this material may cause chromosomal damage. Doses of 1 mg/kg can cause symptoms. It is a suspected carcinogen. Also, it is a central nervous system depressant and hepatotoxin. Pregnant women are considered to be at special risk.
EPA: Not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity. IARC: Not classifiable as to carcinogenicity to humans. NTP: Not evaluated