What is Bis(2-chloroethoxy)methane?

Bis(2-chloroethoxy)methane, [liquid] appears as a colorless liquid. Boiling point 217.5°C, Flash point 230°F. Density 1.23 g / cm3. May be toxic by ingestion or inhalation. Severely irritates skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.


U.S. FDA (1998) approved the use of BCEM in the manufacturing of polysulfide polymer-polyepoxy resins which may be used as food-contact surface of articles intended for packaging, transporting, holding, or otherwise contacting dry food.

Sources & Potential Exposure

The major hazards encountered in the use and handling of bis(2-chloroethoxy) methane stem from its toxicologic properties. Toxic primarily via dermal contact and inhalation, exposure to this colorless liquid may occur from its manufacture and use as a solvent and intermediate for polysulfide rubbers. Effects from exposure may include irritation of the skin and eyes. Local exhaust ventilation should be used to limit exposure. In activities and situations where over-exposure may occur, wear a full facepiece, self-contained breathing apparatus. While bis(2-chloroethoxy) methane must be preheated before ignition can occur, when heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of hydrochloric acid. For fires involving this substance, extinguish with dry chemical or CO2. Also, water fog gently applied to the surface of the liquid will cause a frothing which will extinguish the fire. This substance should be stored in cool, well-ventilated areas, away from direct rays of the sun, fire hazards, moisture, acids, and other oxidizing materials. Bis(2-chloroethoxy) methane is a potential candidate for disposal by fluidized bed, rotary kiln, or liquid injection forms of incineration.

Federal Regulations

Not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity

REGENESIS Treatment Products – Bis(2-chloroethoxy)methane