Controlled-Release Oxygen for the Aerobic Biodegradation of Petroleum Hydrocarbons
- Decreased time to site closure, degradation rates accelerated up to 100 times faster than natural degradation rates
- Longevity, a single ORC Advanced application can support aerobic biodegradation for up to 12 months
- Minimal site disturbance, no permanent or emplaced aboveground equipment, piping, tanks, power sources, etc.
- No operation and maintenance – lower costs and greater efficiency/reliability than engineered mechanical systems, oxygen emitters and bubblers
- Wide regional, national and international regulatory understanding and acceptance
- Well understood and easily monitored geochemistry and performance parameters
- Simple and easy application using a variety of available methods (direct push, fixed well or excavation)
How it Works
ORC Advanced® is designed specifically to provide enhanced, in situ aerobic bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater. Upon contact with groundwater, the calcium oxy-hydroxide based product becomes hydrated providing a controlled-release of molecular oxygen (17% by weight) for a period up to 12 months from a single application. This dissolved oxygen is used by microorganisms to transform organic contaminants into carbon dioxide, water and microbial cell mass. ORC Advanced creates and maintains ideal conditions for aerobic biodegradation, resulting in enhanced attenuation rates up to 100 times faster than natural conditions. ORC Advanced provides remediation practitioners with a safe and highly effective means of treating petroleum contaminated sites.
Retail Petroleum and Gasoline Service Station Applications
Petroleum hydrocarbon contamination is often associated with retail petroleum service stations due to leaking underground storage tanks and pipework. As a result, ORC Advanced technology and applications have been tailored around the remediation needs of the retail petroleum industry and include: direct application into tank pit excavations, mixing with backfill, direct-push injection or application into injection wells (not monitoring wells). ORC Advanced is designed to work in conjunction with ISCO and physical abstraction methods to address residual dissolved phase contamination. the mixing and application of ORC Advanced is safe for both the remediation practitioner and the site user and will not have a detrimental effect on subsurface equipment or services, making it safe and easy to use on even live retail sites.
- Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene and Xylene (BTEX)
- Gasoline Range Organics (GRO) (C6-C10-12)
- Diesel Range Organics (DRO) (C8-12-C24-26)
- Oil Range Organics (ORO) (C22-32)
- Creosote (coal tar)
- Methyl-Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE)
- Tert-Butyl Alcohol (TBA)
- cis-1,2 Dichloroethene (DCE)
- Vinyl chloride (VC)
For a complete listing of treatable contaminants please visit our Range of Treatable Contaminants Page.
Typical Soil and Groundwater Remediation Application Methods
- Slurry mixture direct-push injection through hollow rods (barriers and grids)
- Slurry mixture injection through designated injection wells (not monitoring wells)
- Mixed into excavation backfill
- Dry application pelletised form placed directly into excavations and trenches
- Slurry mixture injections in conjunction with chemical oxidants like RegenOx or PersulfOx
- Filter sock applications in groundwater for highly localised treatment
If you currently have a project and need a remediation solution now, visit our Request a design page.
Have questions or want to explore some ideas? Contact Us to get in touch with a local representative.