Controlled-Release Oxygen for Enhanced Aerobic Biodegradation
ORC Advanced® is an engineered, oxygen release compound designed specifically for enhanced, in situ aerobic bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater and saturated soils.
How it works
Upon contact with groundwater, this calcium oxy-hydroxide based material becomes hydrated producing a controlled-release of molecular oxygen (17% by weight) for periods of up to 12 months on a single application. Oxygen is required by microorganisms to transform organic contaminants (such as petroleum hydrocarbons) into carbon dioxide, water and microbial cell mass.
More importantly, the new and readily available oxygen produced by ORC Advanced accelerates aerobic biodegradation processes up to 100 times faster than natural degradation rates. ORC Advanced provides remediation practitioners with a significantly faster and highly effective means of treating petroleum contaminated sites.
- Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene and Xylenes (BTEX)
- Gasoline Range Organics (GRO) (C6-C10-12)
- Diesel Range Organics (DRO) (C8-12-C24-26)
- Oil Range Organics (ORO) (C22-32)
- Creosote (coal tar)
- Methyl-Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE)
- Tert-Butyl Alcohol (TBA)
- cis-1,2 Dichloroethene (DCE)
- Vinyl chloride (VC)
For a complete listing of treatable contaminants please visit our Range of Treatable Contaminants Page.
- Longevity, a single ORC Advanced application can support aerobic biodegradation for up to 12 months
- Well understood and easily monitored geochemistry and performance parameters
- Simple and easy application using a variety of available methods (direct push, fixed well or excavation)
- Decreased time to site closure, aerobic degradation rates accelerated up to 100 times faster than natural degradation rates
- Minimal site disturbance, no permanent or emplaced aboveground equipment, piping, tanks, power sources, etc.
- No operation and maintenance – lower costs and greater efficiency/reliability than engineered mechanical systems, oxygen emitters and bubblers
- Wide regulatory understanding and acceptance
Typical Application Methods
- Slurry mixture direct-push injection through hollow rods (barriers and grids)
- Slurry mixture direct-placement into boreholes
- In Situ or ex situ slurry mixture into contaminated backfill or contaminated soils in general
- Slurry mixture placement into excavations and trenches
- Slurry mixture injections in conjunction with chemical oxidants like RegenOx or PersulfOx
- Filter sock applications in groundwater for highly localised treatment
- Ex situ biopiles
- For more information, please read the Application Instructions
ORC Advanced Used to Treat BTEX
Large Dilute BTEX Plume Successfully Treated
FAQs about Oxygen Release Compound (ORC®)
Oxygen Release Compound is an engineered oxygen release compound designed specifically for enhanced, in situ aerobic bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater or saturated soils. The newly present oxygen allows the microorganisms to transform organic contaminants into carbon dioxide, water, and microbial cell mass.
Upon contact with groundwater, Oxygen Release Compound® (ORC) becomes hydrated producing a controlled-release of molecular oxygen (10% by weight) for periods of up to 12 months on a single application. The new and available oxygen produced by ORC accelerates aerobic biodegradation processes 10 to 100 times faster than their naturally occurring rates. ORC provides remediation practitioners with a significantly faster and more effective means of treating petroleum contaminated sites.
Oxygen Release Compound Advanced is right for your project if you are remediating petroleum hydrocarbons in soil or groundwater and your site goals require an approach that is quicker than natural attenuation.