What is Trimethylbenzene?
Trimethylbenzene appears as a liquid. Flash point near 130°F. Less dense than water and insoluble in water.
Trimethylbenzene has been used in fuels and fuel additives, intermediates, paint additives and coating additives, solvents for cleaning and degreasing, and solvents which become part of product formulation or mixture.
Sources & Potential Exposure
The major hazards encountered in the use and handling of Trimethylbenzene stem from its toxicological properties. Toxic by inhalation and dermal contact, exposure to this liquid may occur from its use as a solvent and paint thinner, and in the manufacture of dyes, perfumes, resins, pharmaceuticals, and trimellitic anhydride. Effects from exposure may include headache, fatigue, nausea, irritation of the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes, central nervous system depression, asthmatic bronchitis, chemical pneumonitis, or pulmonary edema.
There is inadequate information to evaluate the carcinogenicity of Trimethylbenzene.